1. Which of the following is the reported number of new cases of herpes zoster (HZ) occurring each year in the United States?
2. Which of the following is not a risk factor for the development of HZ?
3. Which mechanism is responsible for conferring lifelong immunity after an initial varicella infection?
4. What is the primary sign or symptom of the HZ prodrome?
5. Laboratory testing may be recommended for which patients?
6. Which of the following is a complication associated with HZ reactivation?
7. Which of these is a criterion for the differential diagnosis of HZ from other dermatologic disorders?
8. Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) is defined as dermatomal pain continuing for how many days after onset of the herpetic rash?
9. What is the estimated percentage of patients with HZ who will develop HZ ophthalmicus?
10. Which antiviral agent is available as both an oral suspension and an injectable for IV use?
11. IV administration of antivirals is recommended for which type of patient?
12. Which of the following is the most serious problem associated with the administration of acyclovir?
13. What is the reported prevalence of PHN in patients with shingles?
14. Which agent is FDA-approved for the treatment of PHN?
15. Which drug may be used in eyedrop form to treat HZ ophthalmically?
16. Zostavax is contraindicated in which of the following conditions?
17. According to the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, HZ vaccination should be routinely recommended for adults of what age?
18. The major concern with the continued use of opiates to treat acute pain associated with HZ is the development of which condition?
19. Which drug is recommended to be administered in a long-acting dosage form?
20. What is the maximum daily dosage of tramadol for the treatment of PHN?
21. Met objective 1:
25. Related to your educational needs:
26. The active learning strategies (questions, cases, discussions) were appropriate and effective learning tools:
27. Avoided commercial bias:
28. How would you rate the overall usefulness of the material presented?
29. How would you rate the quality of the faculty?
30. How would you rate the appropriateness of the examination for this activity?